Food - Life - Lists - Opinions

10 Favorite Views in San Francisco So Far


I've lived in the city for five months now (does time fly or WHAT?), and I've loved exploring. Here's a few favorites I've found so far!




1. The Mosaic Steps on 16th Street (Inner Sunset)
There's a long staircase between Noriega and Moraga, and a smaller set on Kirkham. Beautifully tiled and there's gorgeous views when you climb to the top. It's a cute little San Francisco gem that makes for fun photos.





2. Ocean Beach (Outer Sunset)
I started running a few months ago, and I live about 3 miles from the beach. It's a little chilly, but seeing the waves crash with the Marin headlands in the background is stunning. When a friend came to town, the two of us grabbed hot chocolates from Java Beach cafe and walked along the beach at sunset.





3. 24th Street Murals (Mission)
The entire Mission neighborhood is filled with larger-than-life, stunning murals that span entire building faces. I'm at the General at least once a week, which is how I discovered that walking along 24th St is so much fun. There's also lots of family owned grocery stores with excellent and inexpensive produce, along with yummy taquerias and sometimes live music on the weekends. 






4. Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital (Mission/Potrero)
So this isn't really a touristy spot, but I just love the General so much. It's vibrant and loving and kind of magical because it provides comfort and healing to a lot of people who might not get it otherwise. The hospital has got a rich history from its humble beginnings to establishing Ward 86 on the frontlines of the HIV/AIDS epidemic to new developments. In addition to all of the healthcare and medical offices, there's juxtaposition between the older buildings and newer ones, community sponsored murals but also famous artists' works too, adorable sculptures and a gorgeous rooftop garden with a view.






5. Ferry Plaza (Embarcadero)
There's something magical about the old-fashioned clocktower. Whether I'm walking up to it from Market Street or on the bay pulling up in a ferry boat, it just feels so iconic. The plaza has lots of adorable (overly priced) speciality gourmet food stores, but my favorite event is the farmer's market every Saturday morning. There are SO many free samples and so much to explore. 






6. Sausalito (Marin County)
After the farmer's market at Ferry Plaza, it's easy to catch a ferry out to Sausalito. It takes about thirty minutes and $6 (if you're using your Clipper card), but you get such a pretty view of the city skyline and the water. Sausalito is an adorable European town with open parks, cute side streets, a walkway along the water, and lots of treat shops. It's such a fun afternoon escape from the city if you need a break.







7. Walking from the Marina to Embarcadero 
It's a little ambitious, but walking along the water on a gorgeous day is something special. Start from the Marina towards Fort Mason (which has stunning, sloping views of Golden Gate Bridge and makes for a fabulous picnic site) to Municipal Pier and Ghirardelli Square through Fisherman's Wharf along the water until Embarcadero. You can also take a boat out to Alcatraz at Pier 33, and Pier 7 is my favorite pier because of the Bay Bridge view.






8. Bernal Heights Park (Bernal Heights)
I've only been here once and it was a BIT of an uphill climb, but gorgeous sweeping views of the city, the water, and bridges. There's a few trails at the top of the park and makes for a lovely stroll or run.






9. Grantview Park (Inner Sunset)
This park is only a five minute run from where I live, so I try to catch the sunrise when I go on early morning runs. You can see the entire Sunset neighborhood out to the water, and UCSF looks especially pretty up on Parnassus hill.







10. UCSF Parnassus Library (Inner Sunset/Parnassus) 
Okay, don't make fun of me! The library is a special place, but when I first toured the school on my interview day, I was absolutely mesmerized by the views. I tried to capture the image in my mind because I didn't think I'd ever be back to see it... Now, I walk up to the Flight Attendant deck outside the Kalmanovitz Library every time I get the chance.

xoxo, 
Juhi

Comments

Popular Posts