Food - Life - Lists - Opinions

ARCHIVE: On Superman



Originally published on Facebook, June 15th 2013.

It's hard for me to articulate why superheroes hold so much personal appeal, but (as nerdy as it sounds) I've loved them for as long as I can remember. Part of it's the adventure that inevitably follows them everywhere they go, their compelling backstories where they all overcame immense adversity to be where they are now and their indelible courage in the face of the most terrifying threats. But I love them most because of the innate sense of goodness and hope in humanity that each superhero embodies.

They all have dark sides -everyone, superpowers or not does- but they represent the best attitudes, they try their hardest when it seems impossible to do so, they trust in themselves and in the people they protect, and they constantly battle for a better future. They believe in the good in the world and they don't ever stop fighting to preserve it. They're blessed with extraordinary powers but they use them for peace and for goodwill- not for selfish ends like greed and destruction.

But there's one superhero that always always always been my favorite. The Kansas-bred boy scout that fights for truth, justice and the American way. He's always been an outsider, an alien whose home was lost long ago, but he loves humanity and has proven himself to the world time and time again for the past eighty years. Superman is the epitome of kindness, humility and good, and each new incarnation of him makes me love him even more. I love a lot of superheroes, but this guy is definitely my favorite.

That being said, Man of Steel does him justice. It's a tale of epic proportions. At first I was disconcerted by the seemingly non-traditional take on the classic story, but Christopher Nolan pulls off perfection once again. Such a beautiful movie with such an uplifting theme. And Henry Cavill was excellent (and QUITE beautiful, I must add!). Man of Steel has got action, adventure, suspense, a great cast of characters and a powerful message.

Even though he's not *real*, Superman continues to inspire me to be a better person. Man of Steel gave me goosebumps. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I didn't plan to write a five paragraph essay on why I loved it so much. Yes yes, I'm a huge nerd who loves an optimistic outlook on the world, what's new? Okay, I'm rambling. Just go watch the movie already- you certainly won't regret it!

Comments

Popular Posts