Food - Life - Lists - Opinions

ARCHIVE: Defending the Kardashians from Amy Schumer

Originally published on Facebook, October 11th 2015.

“We have to be a good role model for these little girls because who do they have? All they have, literally, is the Kardashians. She doesn’t have a Malala poster in her room — trust me,” Schumer, 34, said. “Is that a great message for little girls? A whole family of women that take the faces they were born with as a light suggestion.”

I am 800% done with Amy Schumer. Sure, she says some great things about body image and about gun control, but her latest dig at the Kardashians highlights how her "feminism" sorely lacks when it comes to issues of race. It also highlights the larger issue of people condemning, denouncing, and vilifying the Kardashian family, and I can’t help but ask WHY.

1) Why do we demonize the Kardashians? Because they’re rich? Because they bare themselves to the world, literally and figuratively? Because they’re “fake”? The worst critique I hear is that they "didn't earn their fame". Who even "earns" fame these days? The media gives it out indiscriminately, and this family was smart enough to not only capitalize on it but build an empire as they maintained momentum. I'm not saying they're not problematic (they exude capitalism plus also everyone's some sort of problematic please), but I ask that you critically question your objections to them and make sure that they're not rooted in misogyny or racism.

2) Why do we need to draw false dichotomies between "good role models" and the Kardashians? Why can't we except that these sisters are complex, flawed individuals who share more in common with us than we realize? They're not perfect, but why do we expect for them to be? They're kind people, tolerant and accepting, and they put family first. They can be role models for us in different ways. I picked up my animal print obsession from ~2010 Kim and also learned how to properly apply mascara from her Youtube tutorials. Now, Kim speaks out on race and transgender issues. I feel like she's grown and her values have matured alongside my own. I also adore Malala and other powerful, successful, compassionate women at the same time because I myself am a complex, multidimensional individual?? By implying that girls can pick either "good" role models OR Kardashian-esque role models, we’re saying that they aren’t smart enough to analyze both types and take away the best, contributing to a system that constantly underestimates women’s complex identities and wide-ranging abilities.

3) Why does Schumer position herself as the role model young girls need? Putting other successful women down with narrow-minded critique and an incomplete analysis is literally the opposite of what I look for in my female role models. We live in a society that is constantly making life difficult for women, and we don’t need to contribute to that (and if you’re a woman who does not agree about this, I suggest you examine your privilege). Why not celebrate the accomplishments and successes of our female peers because even if their values and attitudes differ from our own? Schumer dissing the Kardashians on a public platform only worsens widespread misogyny against the family.

4) Does Schumer not realize how the Kardashians have altered mainstream standards of beauty? I remember seeing skinny white girls across magazine covers growing up, never realizing that other women could be on them too. I knew I’d never look like them, but when I started seeing the Kardashian sisters pop up on magazines around middle school, it was almost jarring. Here were women larger than conventional standards, darker than conventional standards exuding a confidence they were eager to share with others. I’m not saying they were the first “plus-size” women to breach the industry, but they have largely been some of the most successful. Of course, black women have had the wide hips and plump lips for ages, but few have gotten the same intense exposure. I feel like the Kardashians have really opened up doors for less conventionally “beautiful” women to enter the public sphere. Amy Schumer really isn’t all that talented IMO and she fits neatly in our default white pop culture, but her body size is something that makes her stick out. And without the contributions of women like the Kardashians, I feel like her break would have only been more difficult.

5) “Taking their faces as light suggestions” is annoying to me. Why do we denounce an appearance that isn’t 100% “natural”? Anything artificial invites scrunity and disgust, but yet we’re still expected to meet society’s rigid standards that only a select few are inherently proximal to. We’re expected to look good, but we can’t wear too much makeup without someone giving us a hard time? That’s a frustrating double standard. And for the record, I’m pretty sure each of the sisters have posted pictures or been in videos without makeup on. They’re not hiding anything. Just because they prefer makeup (and can afford the finest makeup artists) doesn’t make them terrible role models.

Writing is always so cathartic for me. I definitely feel a lot better after getting that all out LOL. Thanks for reading

Comments

Popular Posts