Food - Life - Lists - Opinions

MS1 Advice I'd Give Myself



August 10th 2018


Today’s white coat ceremony brought me back to last year- it was a timely reminder of the beauty and joy of our purpose as student doctors. i got to thinking about what i would tell myself this time last year:

1) one of the best things will be one of the hardest- being surrounded by classmates who are all enormously talented and ambitious is a blessing but when it looks like everyone around you is doing so well, it can hard to see if you are too. but take it all in stride because we all have vastly different goals and dreams and paths to get there so stick to what feels right and explore what gets you excited - the more you focus on what’s ahead for you, the less you’ll find yourself trying to measure up to friends around you.

2) grades and evaluations are imperfect and can be harsh. you can’t use those to judge yourself so you need to get creative about what validates you. think back to your values and come up with benchmarks that align with those. keep them simple like asking a question in small group or remembering your patient’s name (harder to do than I expected if we’re being honest!!). i started writing down moments that i felt validated so that whenever i feel unsure, i can revisit the record and remind myself that i’m doing alright.

3) don’t make productivity a prerequisite to having fun. life is gonna stay busy and you aren’t ever going to check off every item on your to-do list! so don’t put off going to dance class or seeing friends until this imaginary moment when you feel all caught up. live it up a little and the work will sort itself out!

4) my doctor told me that i was going to feel alone at least a few times in med school. like the aggressive optimist i am, i hoped she was wrong! but I am glad she wasn’t- i thought starting over in a whole new city would be the challenge but the times i’ve felt most alone are when it felt like i was the only one with a perspective or view. feeling alone in that is honestly important because it’s made me rethink my stance- and often only made me stronger and hold faster to my beliefs. 


xoxo
Juhi

Comments

Popular Posts