Food - Life - Lists - Opinions

Walking Musings


This afternoon I was walking home, and it was hot. I was wearing all black and still had layers on from when it was cold in the morning. I was carrying ten pounds of groceries from my detour at the farmer's market, the hills felt endless like usual, and I had so much work to do when I got home including meal prep BUT... I had the most lovely walk home.

It was a clear and sunny day, which I don't want to take for granted in January in SF. I had gotten some delicious-looking fresh fruits and veggies, so I felt content leaving the 5th and Irving market. It's the same path I walk home every day, but when I pay attention, I always discover something new. It's fun smiling at strangers and waving at babies. The rows of houses and shops that line these streets are so charming and bright. There's greenery everywhere- so many different trees with their own unique leaves that sunshine peeked through.

When I walk, I pay attention to the sensation of my feet hitting the ground with each step. I notice that my breaths grow shallower with the increasing incline, and I pause to recapture my breath. I pay special attention to the silence after my exhale, before the next inhale starts. I feel the sun warming me, and the wind gently blowing against my face. I love feeling the wind in my hair- I never got to experience it when my hair was long and now it's so much fun. I can hear the sounds of car engines and muffled conversations, the rustle of leaves and maybe even a chirp. I cross a friend who's on her way to the library and we share a brief moment of joy before continuing along our way.

There's something so lovely and peaceful about existing in the present moment. I enjoy imagining and preparing for the future, and I love reminiscing on past memories. But I've realized that focusing on these times that have already happened or are yet to come don't energize me in the same way. When I observe the sights, sounds, sensations, and smells (okay maybe not the smells) around me, I always find something beautiful, something that brings me joy. I often learn something new about myself or something else too. 

When I got home, it felt like I had been strolling for half an hour. I check my phone and it hadn't even been fifteen minutes. It's remarkable how time slows down when I make an effort to appreciate it. 

xoxo,
Juhi

Comments

Popular Posts